Filter report to only items where comments mention specific text

AdamStemper
AdamStemper ✭✭
edited 07/17/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm looking to create a report that will show me only the records where I am mentioned/tagged in the comments. This is not a comments column, we are using the standard 'comments' functionality. Would even be sufficient to just filter on any rows where the comments are like '%SomeText%'.

Seems fairly similar to this post from 2019: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/36041/comments-in-a-report

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AdamStemper

Here is one way to "Record only comments I'm mentioned."

• Add a column for the Latest Comment on all sheets that record comments.
    • Create a sheet for Comment Records with only the Primary Column.
    • On all Comment Records sheets, Workflow automation will copy the rows to the Comment Records sheet when the Latest Comment column on each Comment Records sheet changes.
    • Create a report for Comment Records and use the sheet for Comment Records as the source.
      • Add a column for the Latest Comment to the columns to be displayed.
      • In the Filter, in the Latest Comment column, include your email address in the Contains condition.
        • Example demo@cloudsmart.jp or @demo@cloudsmart.jp 
    • Now, when someone mentions you in the source sheet, a value containing @your email is copied to the Latest Comment column of that sheet, and in Automation, the row is copied to the sheet for Comment Records, which can then be filtered in the report to see only the comments that have mentions of you. You can filter the report to see only the comments that you have been mentioned about yourself.

demo DB

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp I like this. Clever! Implementing now.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

@MichaelTCA Thanks for your kind comment!

• AdamStemper
    AdamStemper ✭✭
    edited 07/19/23

@jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp Gave this a shot last night and it seems to work as you described, which is really creative... i like it! Thank you! The only issue I'm running into is getting these items to "drop off" the report when the original row is marked as "complete". I don't see any way to get the original row to update the newly copied row, as it appears the only option is to copy the row again. Is there maybe a way to have the report link the two sheets to filter out records where the Complete column is checked?

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

@AdamStemper

Is there automation in your sheet workflow that moves Complete rows to another sheet?

If so, you can put an automation workflow in front of it that copies the row if the row has comments. An easy way to change the order of workflows is to include a number in the workflow name.😀

If that is not possible, you can also include in the source sheets of the report the sheet that gets the completed rows.