How do I create a "daily digest" of due or overdue tasks for a user?

Hi there,

I've been searching the community for a way to deliver a "digest" notification each day to users who have overdue tasks. I think I could do this easily on a task-by-task basis with an automation on the project plan, but I'd prefer to send a single email to each user each day rather than an email for every task they have overdue. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Lizk2
    Lizk2 ✭✭

Hi @warrena,

If I understand your question correctly, we have a similar automation setup for one of our schedules- this sends out one email with all their overdue tasks listed to the person assigned.

This would depend on how you have your sheet set up, but we have a health column--(schedule health turns yellow when a task is due today and red when overdue), so you could set up the alert to notify the assigned person daily of what tasks are overdue.

I set up a quick test-- Here is the email with all the overdue listed. You can customize what the email says in the automation.

Hope this helps!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would suggest creating a report that pulls in from every project plan. Filter it by "current user", then send a link to the report in an automation.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• warrena
    warrena ✭✭

Thanks, both!

@Lizk2 I think this would only summarize the tasks across a single project, resulting in one email per project per day. Our users are often assigned on tasks on many projects, and I'd like to consolidate across projects in the singledaily email. Am I understanding that correctly?

@Paul Newcome That would basically send an email with a link to the "my overdue tasks" report every day regardless of whether there are any applicable tasks, correct? That's not ideal, but it might be the best solution. Where would I create the automation to trigger this, since it's basically a "send every day regardless" email.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would create a separate register that has everyone listed down a contact column that you would want to review this report and then set it up there.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com