Calculate days since a post opened that stops once a hire date is populated

=IF([Actual Start Date]@row <>””, NETDAYS([Req Open Date]@row, Today()), NETDAYS([Req Open Date]@row, [Actual Start Date]@row))

Hello! I'm trying to calculate # days posted using the formula above but its unparseable. Can someone help tailor and clarify what was wrong?

Answers

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As for the unparseable issue, your quotes were not the correct character. (”” instead of "")

I believe the logic was reversed, based on your description. This will calculate the number of days between [Req Open Date] and TODAY() if there is no start date. If there is a start date, it will calculate the days between the open date and start date.

=IF([Actual Start Date]@row <>"", NETDAYS([Req Open Date]@row, [Actual Start Date]@row), NETDAYS([Req Open Date]@row, Today()))

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @AMcElfresh

Are all the columns involved in the function Date columns?

Oddest thing, I had replaced the "" part with "" again and it worked. This is what the results of the function you provided looks like.

This is kind of a circular reference and will never work unless the [Actual Start Date]@row = "". The biggest problem is your conditional statement.

When FALSE, the statement reads like this:

When [Actual Start Date]@row = "" Then

NETDAYS([Req Open Date]@row, [Actual Start Date]@row)

Actual start date is already determined to be blank. There will always be an error if you try to calculate the net days with a blank value.

Split up the functions and this is the result.

Maybe try this and see if it's the desired result:

=IF([Actual Start Date]@row = "", NETDAYS([Req Open Date]@row, TODAY()), NETDAYS([Req Open Date]@row, [Actual Start Date]@row))

Then if the actual start date is blank, the function will rely on today's date instead.

• Thank you both! Both worked as needed, and that makes more sense.