Update status in another smartsheet

I have an asset register, each with a unique asset number that also holds a status (In service, out for repair, decommissioned)

I also have an asset damages log where an asset is reported as faulty or damaged and is sent for repair. If unrepairable it will then be decommissioned.

My question is....... how to I update my asset register if I receive a damage log for that asset, to change the status to "Out for Repair" and then when the repair it completed change it back to "In Service"

Any ideas anyone as I just cannot come up with a workable HOW to do this :)

Many thanks

Sue

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

Best Answer

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

UPDATE: Index / match / collect is awesome for accessing a lookup type table in smartsheet and I've started using but have just revolutionised my life by getting Data Shuttle.

Oh my goodness I can import on a schedule from an extract from our core SAP system and update my lookup type tables.

I can extract from one smartsheet to then imput into another preventing the need and risk of double keying

I'm about to learn how to update dropdown menus too

Only just over a week into the training and support and absolute game changer for us to also be able to export from smartsheet into a error or incident handling system.

Wow my life just got a whole lot busier

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

Answers

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SueinSpain

Can you share some screenshots to help us understand a bit better?

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the aset register showing the TMS units and it is the first one I am interested in. It is In Service as being used as far as I know.

Now I have just received a damage log to say this asset has been damaged and is being sent in for repair - the depot and asset number & asset type are the same.

My question is....... is there any way to update/change the Status field in the top smartsheet from In Service to equal Out for Repair and this would be triggered by the row being added to the bottom smartsheet.

Hope this makes sense :)

Sue

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SueinSpain

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, you could add a cross-sheet formula INDEX/MATCH and collect the status, and either shows that in the same column or a so-called helper column or/and a workflow triggered multiple times a day changing the status.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

UPDATE: Index / match / collect is awesome for accessing a lookup type table in smartsheet and I've started using but have just revolutionised my life by getting Data Shuttle.

Oh my goodness I can import on a schedule from an extract from our core SAP system and update my lookup type tables.

I can extract from one smartsheet to then imput into another preventing the need and risk of double keying

I'm about to learn how to update dropdown menus too

Only just over a week into the training and support and absolute game changer for us to also be able to export from smartsheet into a error or incident handling system.

Wow my life just got a whole lot busier

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!