Only want certain columns displayed when entering information

I have created a sheet in Smartsheet with various columns with some having drop downs. When a drop down is selected "Novation" for example I only want to see certain columns that have "Novation" in the title for the user to populate. I hope that makes sense, please note this needs to be a sheet and not a form.

Thanks in advance for your help

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Amanda O

Happy to help!

You'd add formulas that would show a message together with conditional formatting if something is true, and you can also color specific cells in specific columns to guide the user.

A formula could be something like this.

=IF(Options@row = "Option 1", 1)

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure it will be possible to conditionally hide and unhide columns in Smartsheet. You could consider setting up a form with conditional logic that only shows the questions relevant to "Novation" in that situation for input all at once.

Alternatively, you could set up a form so the person can select Novation to be inputted with their name (or some ID basically). Then you could set up reports that ONLY include "Novation" related columns, along with reports for all other option types, that allow users to edit their entry in a way where they would only see Novation related columns. This would be best for something that has to be filled out over time and not all at once.

• Thank you for your response Nick

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Amanda O

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Nick's excellent advice/answer.

• Use formulas and conditional formatting in the sheet to instruct the user where they should go next with formatting and messaging.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree

Thanks for your response, I did look at conditional formatting but was unsure how that could help, can you please explain?

Thanks

Amanda

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Amanda O

Happy to help!

You'd add formulas that would show a message together with conditional formatting if something is true, and you can also color specific cells in specific columns to guide the user.

A formula could be something like this.

=IF(Options@row = "Option 1", 1)

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!