Links In Google Drive

Is there a way or what are best practices to create a link to existing Smartsheets on the Google drive?

I know how to create a new sheet from Google Drive, but I have lots of sheets that have existed for several years and we'd like them to be available in the Google Drive structure without putting them in a document or Google sheet. I'd prefer a direct link.

Thank you!

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Right-click your desktop, click New, then click Shortcut.

In the field "Type the location of the item", enter the URL for your sheet.

Click Next

Type a name for the shortcut

Click Finish

Then move that shortcut to Google Drive.

Hope that helps!

BRgds,

-Ray

• Andrea Westrich
    Andrea Westrich ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ray Lindstrom thank you so much for answering this.

Do you know of a way to do this on a Mac?

When I do this on a Windows device and click on the shortcut in the Drive (via Chrome) I get an error to download or connect the app. I do have Smartsheet as an addon in my Chrime and this is not something I want people who are even less technical than me to go through.

Am I doing something wrong or is there another way?

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrea Westrich,

Sorry it didn't work. I see that it's trying to have the users download the shortcut file instead of being navigated to the shortcut's destination location.

I'm not aware of another way to make this happen. I would test to figure it out, but my company doesn't allow me to access my google account from work.

And as far as doing so on a Mac, I definitely don't have an answer for that. I used to be a software tester and even tested on Macs, but haven't used one since 2017.

So sorry I couldn't help further.

All the best,

-Ray