Predecessors for parallel activities

I have a situation where a task happens in parallel with other tasks but this parallel activity (call it "Task P") needs to start at the same time as "Task A" however "Task P" runs longer than "Task A" but needs to be completed 2months prior to the completion of "Task B"

So I want the Start Date for "Task P" to be linked to the start of "Task A" <-- which I know I can just use the Start-Start predecessor.

But I want the Finish date for "Task P" to be linked to the finish date of "Task B" with a 2 month lag.

I can't figure out how to use predecessors to provide both a start and finish date

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would Task P be shortened to fit 2 months before Task B, or would you want Task B to move to be 2 months after Task P?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• krohtla
    krohtla ✭✭

Hi Paul

I'd want Task P to be shortened to complete 2 months before Task B finishes

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just to make sure I understand because messing with predecessors can be very particular and provides a lot of room for misunderstanding based on even the slightest variations in verbiage...

You want Task P to start after Task A and you also want Task P to finish 2 months before Task B? If that is correct, you would set up your predecessors like so:

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• krohtla
    krohtla ✭✭

Thanks Paul. I'll give that a shot and see if it works. I was trying this previously but for some reason it wasn't provided the right duration for Task P, based on the Task A finish date and the -2 months Task B finish date. My Task P duration kept defaulting to 1d as though it was a milestone. Maybe its something odd in my settings