Copy Row Automation with System Columns

I have a source sheet which contains 2 system columns (auto number and modified date). When creating a copy row workflow from this source sheet to another destination sheet, i was getting the below error message. I removed the 2 columns from the destination sheet and this cleared the error however the workflow is still not copying the rows to the destination sheet. What do I need to do to get the rows to copy. Workflow also shown below.

Answers

• isabonita
    isabonita ✭✭✭

I fight with this all the time... If you are just starting with this - the way I clear the error up on a new Workflow is to let Smartsheet do the work for you:

1. Create a new sheet
    2. Leave the default columns
    3. Point the Automation to the new sheet
    4. Use the "Run Now" on just one row (make sure the row meets the CONDITION you have set in the automation)
    5. Go to the target sheet and get rid of the generic columns.

This will create the columns with the correct names and column types. You can still add more columns to the target sheet if you need to do formulas, etc.

The other option is to make the columns that are system columns the same kind of system column. If your Modified Date column name is "Modified" in your source sheet - make it the same name in the Target sheet.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

• @isabonita "Go to the target sheet and get rid of the generic columns."

I am not understanding what this means. What are "generic columns"?

The entire way the smartsheet copy row automation works is absurd. I set up a sheet with NOTHING on it, the automation copys everything over on the first run....and then the next time it's set to run it no longer works??

They need to make this automation work in a way that the end user isn't forced to learn the hard way that it takes a ton of silly workarounds to make it function as intended.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!