Converting email from Text/number format to Contact List format

In a smartsheet, I have a Text/number field that has email in the format john_doe@companyname.com. When I change the format from Text/Number to Contact List, it does not change to Contact list format as John Doe <john_doe@companyname.com>, it leaves the name field blank and I have to add the name manually.

Is there anyway email in Text/number can be converted to Contact List format easily? These emails are of smartsheet licensed users.

Answers

• Hi @sushilp

I believe what you're describing is expected: since the cell only had the email in it previously, converting the column to a Contact type of column can recognize that email as an email, but does not sync up to overwrite your data with the contact Name as well. If they have a circle next to them, the emails will be usable as Contacts (meaning you can send alerts to those emails), but they won't have the display name that you're looking for unless the column was originally set as a Contact column and the contact was selected with both name and email.

Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea for Contact Columns.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now