Problem with Move Row automation

Hi all,

I've had an automation running for most of a year now. It's pretty simple, when a project gets canceled the row is moved to a sheet named Deleted. It's been running fine, until recently, but now I get the error shown below.

I understand the issue, sort of... my Deleted sheet only had about 100 rows in it - so why would it think it reached a limit?

And more importantly, I have cleared out the sheet so it is now empty. The automation still will not re-activate though, it still shows the same error. From the help article it sounds like clearing the sheet should work, but no luck. I suppose I can add a new sheet & change the move destination, but wanted to ask first if anyone else has encountered this?



  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Hi @Josh W,

    I hope you're well and safe!

    Ensure that you delete the rows and not only the content because the rows will still be "Activated."

    Did that work/help?

    I hope that helps!

    Be safe, and have a fantastic week!


    Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

    Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!


    Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

    W: | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

    Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

  • Josh W
    Josh W ✭✭✭✭

    Hi Andree,

    No luck - I made sure all the rows were deleted, not just the content. And, I waited over the weekend for good measure to see it it would work.

    I ended up adding a 'Delete 2' sheet to my workspace and that allowed me to change the 'move' automation. But even then, it look about 3 minutes for the new sheet to show up in the search results when changing the destination sheet in the automation. I find delays like that to be Very frustrating, because 2.5 minutes of the 3 I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong, then finally Smartsheet catches up.

    Thanks though!

  • @Andrée Starå,

    I have a similar "copy" automation. I've made the correction to the destination sheet that caused the error and prevented the row "copy". However, the error message remains and the source sheet automation and can't be run.



  • Found the answer. On the workflow in question, click the three dot icon on the right. A dropdown menu will show. Click on the "Activate" option.


  • Josh W
    Josh W ✭✭✭✭

    Hi Bernard,

    You're on the right track but in this case the Activate button wouldn't work, and just yielded the same error - even after double confirming all rows in the destination sheet were deleted, refreshing, and waiting over a weekend!

    I'm now 99% convinced it's just a bug, because what you say should have worked.