Automated Checkbox is column contains one of multiple values

I have a "Preferred" checkbox that I would like to write a formula to automatically check if the "Client" column contains one of multiple values such as "Spatco" or "Guardian."

I keep getting "Incorrect" or "Unparseable"

IF(OR([Client]@row = "Spatco"), ([Client]@row = "Guardian"), 1, 0)

Thank you in advance for the help!

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Your parenthesis are off. You don't need the ones in the middle of the OR function.

You have

OR(this), (that)

You should have

OR(this, that)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Monique Odom-Stearn
    Monique Odom-Stearn ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @lcain,

Is the Client column multiselect, or does it have spaces before or after the words? My suggestion would be to try a formula that uses contains instead of equals. Try the following:

=IF(OR(CONTAINS("Spatco",[Client]@row),CONTAINS("Guardian",[Client]@row)), 1, 0)

If my comment helped you, please help others by marking it as an accepted answer and consider helping me by clicking the 💡Insightful or ❤️Awesome buttons below!

Monique Odom-Stearn

Business Process Excellence Manager

Smartsheet Leader & Community Champion

Pronouns: She/Her (What’s this?)

“Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” – Ms. Frizzle

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @lcain

I think the only issue is excess ().

Try this: IF(OR([Client]@row = "Spatco", [Client]@row = "Guardian"), 1, 0)

It worked for me when I tested it.

Always follow the colors of the brackets, it will help you notice if you closed your formula too early.

If you have a column with more than one word in the name then you use Square[] brackets.

Hope that helps

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Your parenthesis are off. You don't need the ones in the middle of the OR function.

You have

OR(this), (that)

You should have

OR(this, that)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Monique Odom-Stearn
    Monique Odom-Stearn ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @lcain,

Is the Client column multiselect, or does it have spaces before or after the words? My suggestion would be to try a formula that uses contains instead of equals. Try the following:

=IF(OR(CONTAINS("Spatco",[Client]@row),CONTAINS("Guardian",[Client]@row)), 1, 0)

If my comment helped you, please help others by marking it as an accepted answer and consider helping me by clicking the 💡Insightful or ❤️Awesome buttons below!

Monique Odom-Stearn

Business Process Excellence Manager

Smartsheet Leader & Community Champion

Pronouns: She/Her (What’s this?)

“Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” – Ms. Frizzle

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @lcain

I think the only issue is excess ().

Try this: IF(OR([Client]@row = "Spatco", [Client]@row = "Guardian"), 1, 0)

It worked for me when I tested it.

Always follow the colors of the brackets, it will help you notice if you closed your formula too early.

If you have a column with more than one word in the name then you use Square[] brackets.

Hope that helps

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/