Reporting Filter + Dependencies

Alex Tarr
Alex Tarr ✭✭
edited 09/13/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi SmartSheet Community,

I am working on a project where SmartSheets is being used to manage the entire project schedule. We have multiple teams all feeding discrete actions / tasks into this master schedule sheet.

Question: Is it possible to set up a report view which shows tasks assigned to different teams AND displays any rows which have dependencies to/from the originally filtered items?

Grateful for your support on this one!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/12/23

@Alex Tarr

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you elaborate?

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Thanks for jumping in - to be explicit we have 12no. teams each inputting their activities into the Smartsheet sheet. The total number of line items is in excess of 1000, and therefore we are generating 'report' views to filter only activities which they are either a) assigned as responsible for or b) have a dependency. For example if activity A is dependent on activity B, we wish for both to display in the reporting view, despite activity B not being assigned to that respective team. How might a report be configured to achieve this?

I hope this makes more sense.

Best, Alex

• Darren Mullen
    Darren Mullen ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Alex Tarr I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Thinking about this from a very high level, I think you could accomplish this, but you'd need to have some additional column(s) that would link the rows together and indicate that they should be shown on the report. Then you'd filter the report by the additional column(s). It sounds to me like you'd probably have 12 different sets of criteria as you'd be filtering on the assigned team and the task's dependencies. Without seeing how it is all organized it's hard for me to think about it in too much more detail than that.

I've done something similar for large project plans that indicate when a task is ready to start. I think the logic would be very similar. I've put a lot of time and effort into developing the template and making it robust, so it is a solution I sell, but I'll drop it in here to either give you ideas or if you're company would be interested in this or a variation of the solution.