Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automated text (SMS) messaging

Options

Would love to have automations set to send SMS (text message) to team members instead of email.

8 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• j_casavant
    j_casavant ✭✭
    edited 10/19/23
    Options

Product team...Is there any way Smartsheet can support MMS protocol for sending notifications to mobile devices. It would be great if you could add MobileNumber as a column type, that would be able to trigger SMS/MMS message notifications.

Based on my testing using the Contact list column type, I can get the Alert someone workflow to trigger in Smartsheets.

Below is a snippet of what Smartsheet sent to the mobile recipient when using an email to MMS redirector gateway.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
      <head>
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
        <title>Test Msg 1</title>
      </head>

FYI...Most Mobile carriers have email to SMS/MMS redirector gateways. When I use a Contact list field containing the mobile recipient the workflow triggers, but SMS/MMS does not support <HTML> in the message body. The message is sent, but looks like garbage because of all the HTML.

To test a Contact list field yourself, enter the phone number in a "To" contact field on your sheet (my field was named {{SMS-Contact}}) and I used =IF(..) logic to add the carrier specific @ email suffix. Be sure to enter the full 10-digit mobile number, followed by the specific carrier gateway address. For example, 2121234567@mms.att.net for an AT&T mobile recipient.

Below is a list of some of the most common carrier gateways in the United States:

AT&T: number@txt.att.net for a normal text message (SMS), or number@mms.att.net for a multimedia message (MMS)

Verizon: number@vtext.com for both SMS and MMS messages

T-Mobile: number@tmomail.net for both SMS and MMS messages

Virgin Mobile: number@vmobl.com for both SMS and MMS messages

Note: These gateways change periodically and are not always published for non-subscribers.

If you don't know the phone number's carrier, you'll need to ask the recipient or use a carrier look-up service. You can enter their 10 digit phone number into a carrier lookup system such as CarrierLookup or FoneFinder.