Unable to enter user comments in dynamic views with a filter

Naren
Naren ✭✭✭✭
edited 09/18/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

I've encountered an issue while implementing a feature in a dynamic view with both a filter and user comments enabled. Here's the problem: the view permits users to make updates to the record in the 'data' tab, but it forces them to 'save' it before transitioning to the 'comments' tab. The challenge is that, due to this mandatory save, by the time you reach the 'comments' tab, the record disappears from the dynamic view because it no longer satisfies the pre-defined filter criteria, which is a necessary requirement for the view. Is this a known issue or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Answers

• Hi @Naren

You're correct, your users will need to Save the data before shifting over to the other tab. If your view is set up so that this makes the row disappear, I would recommend having a Column in your sheet set as the Comments tab instead, and display this as a Field to fill out on the row instead. That way they can fill all the data out at the same time.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Naren
    Naren ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. I appreciate your prompt response and your recognition of the constraints associated with the Comments tab's functionality when the view is set up so the rows disappear after saving the changes. Is this a known problem? If it is, could you please share when it will be addressed as a priority? Regarding the workaround you suggested, I already have a similar column in the sheet. However, it doesn't offer the same seamless back and forth communication as the Comments tab, which provides the convenience of mentioning individuals with @name and email notifications when comments are added.

• Hey @Naren

Dynamic View is built differently from a sheet so it has slightly different functionality: the Comments section is separate from the Edit panel, which means you'll need to save data in the Edit panel before moving to Comments (and vice versa) as you've found.

Please feel free to submit your feature request and feedback to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other Dynamic View users to vote on your enhancement idea if they would also find it helpful.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now