How to have automation trigger request(s) for approval to multiple contacts?

Options

Scenario: New system update being developed will affect "West Region" and "South Region" - Automation is set to trigger request for approval to contacts in cell(s) "West Region Approver" AND "South Region Approver" based on the separate conditions I set: "If "Region Column" has any of: "West" send to contacts in "West Region Approver Column and likewise for the South and other regions. When I test run this, it only goes to the first listed region approver in the sheet and doesn't also go to the others, if I've selected multiple regions. What am I doing wrong?

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• CJ Richards
    CJ Richards ✭✭✭
    edited 09/19/23
    Options

I'd still love suggestions for best practices on approval automations that need multiple levels of approvals and multiple contacts to approve at a certain level because I've read that if the request is triggered from the same automation workflow, then it will close or cancel once one person approves.

However, I'm updating on my own post that after multiple iterations of building conditions and/or condition paths to try and set one automation workflow to automate all potential needed approvals, I realized the way to make my automations work for our purposes was to just create a separate workflow for each situation, keeping it simple on each (i.e. "West approval workflow": Trigger - If has any of "west region", send request to west region approver, save response in west region approval status; Next... "East approval workflow" " " " " same, so on and so forth. This way, when any individual, combination of, or all regions are selected on a given row, the approvals send out to the designated approvers with no dependency on the other regions or their respective automation triggers.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@CJ Richards what you did is the only way to have this set up unless you introduce additional triggers that could keep the initial workflow running and not stopping at the first leg.