"Email" appears in approval request only as a name, not an address?

dmartin
dmartin ✭✭
edited 09/21/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to give supervisors quick access to contact anyone seeking an approval for an excused absence and when I choose to share certain fields from my sheet in the message with them, I wanted to include the name and email, but when I do this, the email only shows up as a copy of their name, not an actual address.

I am pulling their emails from a contact list in the sheet.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For this explanation I will assume the column with the contacts in it is called "Contact".

Create a separate column, I'm going to call it "Contact Name".

Add this formula in "Contact Name":

=Contact@row

Convert "Contact Name" to a column formula as shown here and below:

Done!

Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting (Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner)

Smartsheet Consulting Inquiries: schoolofsheets.com/workwithus

Smartsheet Tutorial Videos: schoolofsheets.com/youtube

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• dmartin
    dmartin ✭✭

I'm not sure I understand what this will do. Here's what I'm talking about:

It says "email" and should write out the actual address. But, in the sheet itself, the column in question is a "Contact List Column" which uses the individual's email.

Why would creating a new column for just the name make any difference?

• Hi @dmartin

There currently isn't a way to use a formula to only get the email address of a Contact listed in a Contact column. If you reference a Contact that has a display name, the name will be what appears in another cell.

What I would suggest doing here is have a separate sheet stored somewhere with everyone's Contact down a Contact Column and then their email typed out into a Text/Number column. Then you can use this sheet as a reference sheet, getting the email using an INDEX(MATCH combination (see here). That way the text of the email can be displayed in your update request.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now