Forms

When someone fills out a form, is there a way to know when they filled it out?

When someone fills out a form, is there a way to know who filled it out? is there a way to know their name and email? or one or the other? Or should there be a field on the form asking them for that information?

When someone fills out a form, at the bottom their is an option for them to receive their responses. But is there a way for them to automatically get it? instead of having to check the box.

Answers

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JenaW - Yes: In the source sheet, add a column for Created Date, and make sure the column type is "Created Date"

You can also create a column for Created By. Then, in your form settings, you can require that they sign in to fill out the form. An alternative is to create a required field for their name or email address

Also, at the bottom of Form Settings, there are these options, but I am not aware of a way to automatically do so as a form setting. What you could do is turn off this feature, and create an automation to always send details from the row to the person who created it (assuming you require sign-in or capture their email address per above

I hope this helps!

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭

Hi Scott, thanks for your help!

Requiring smartsheet login to access this form, does that mean that people who fill out the form have to be smartsheet users?

So there is no way for when someone fills out a form, at the bottom their is an option for them to receive their responses. There is no way for them to automatically get it? It has to be setup as an automation? But if it's an automation won't that not look nice in an email?

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jena - Yes, they would have to be Smartsheet users, but that can mean free collaborator, they do not have to be licensed users

As far as I know an automation would be the only way to guarantee it is emailed without relying on the user prompt at the tail end of the form. Yes, that would look different, so there are pros and cons to either approach.

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭

@Scott Peters Okay thanks for claryifying.

I am still confused about my first question. So different individuals will be sent out a form to complete. When they fill it out, I have created a "created by" column to capture their emails. These people in the organization do not use Smartsheet and do not have access to it. Does this mean their email will not be captured?

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JenaW - Here is a quick demo:

1. I created a sample sheet, and manually typed in the first row
    2. I added a form to it, and filled out the first entry
    3. I have one more column formula (Contact), and the formula is =email@row

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If a user does not have an account (free or otherwise), they will need to enter their name/email in fields that you provide within the form.

There is a way to have the "Send me a copy of my responses" box defaulted as checked, but there is no way to stop them from unchecking the box or submitting the form without filling it in.

Exactly how are your users accessing the form?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭

@Scott Peters Right I can have that field in the form for the individual to enter in their email. But I wanted to be able to capture that without them having to enter it in manually. Is that possible?

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭

@Paul Newcome "There is a way to have the "Send me a copy of my responses" box defaulted as checked, but there is no way to stop them from unchecking the box or submitting the form without filling it in"

How do I set this up?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JenaW You would need to modify the form URL like so:

original_form_URL?ECA=%20

Basically you add

?ECA=%20

to the end of the form URL.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭

I have a column called DM email but why isn't it a dropdown? I need to be able to select that field.

Basically once someone fills out the form, it needs to notify the DM. The DM email is what they are entering in when they are completing the form

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JenaW Make sure that column is set as a contact type column.

10xViz.com