Convert to Column Formula Error

Options
aurea
aurea ✭✭
edited 09/29/23 in Formulas and Functions

I'm trying to make the below formula a column formula. If I copy and paste the formula into cells, it works as expected.

=IF(OR([Status]1 = "Complete", [Status]1 = ""), "", "Yes")

Two issues, though:

1) The [Status]1 brackets are being automatically removed and reformatted as Status1

2) When I try to convert to a column formula, I get the error "The column formula syntax isn't quite right."

What am I doing incorrectly?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You only need the brackets when the column name contains a space, number, and/or special character. Your column name doesn't contain any of those things which means the brackets aren't needed which is why Smartsheet is removing them.

The reason it cannot be converted into a column formula is because you are using specific row numbers. Column formulas must use "@row" references.

You have

Status1

You need

Status@row

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You only need the brackets when the column name contains a space, number, and/or special character. Your column name doesn't contain any of those things which means the brackets aren't needed which is why Smartsheet is removing them.

The reason it cannot be converted into a column formula is because you are using specific row numbers. Column formulas must use "@row" references.

You have

Status1

You need

Status@row

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!