Looking to Resolve #NO MATCH with a Multi-select Dropdown

Options

I've tried many variations and got very close with:

=IF(CONTAINS("Orientation", Course@row), INDEX({Course Start Date}, MATCH(Course@row, {Courses Dropdown Name}, 0)), "") - it only pulls when there is one selection provided in the multi-select dropdown and a "#NO MATCH" where there are more than one course selected.

We have 3 different classes every month with different start dates and want to capture the start date for that particular student.

Hope I've provided enough information to find a solution.

Tags:

Answers

• Danielle Arteaga
    Danielle Arteaga ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, Rhonda:

To give you a specific formula suggestion, I'd need to see the column names on your sheet. But, I think I get the gist of what you're trying to do. To help, take a look at this prior answer: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/97044/help-combining-if-index-match

Hope this helps!

• RhondaRhocks
    Options

Thanks Danielle,

Ironically I'm putting this process together for a Danielle. :)

Thanks but I didn't see that previous answer applied-the formula does work and the field types are matching and it works when an employee has requested one training and get #NO MATCH where there is more than one option selected.

Source "Courses" SS

This is where I need the date to fall into these 3 columns

Any help appreciated.

• Eric Law
    Eric Law ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RhondaRhocks Hey Rhonda, quick comment first, it will be helper to @username someone when you are replying as some people do not always remember all the pages they commented on. The only person that gets notified is the creator. With that said, you cannot INDEX/MATCH a multi-select dropdown.

• RhondaRhocks
    Options

Thanks @Eric Law for this tip!

@Danielle Arteaga thanks for your help.

I did come up with a work around by standardizing the course titles - all most there! Used an =IF(CONTAINS("Orientation", Course@row), RIGHT(Course@row, 17)) to come up with the date range at right. I'm not sure if having a date range will work as a trigger though.

Looking for to trim the end date.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!