Streamlining the workflow

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The dashboard has a set width. I do know that if the widget menu on the right is open, it will make the dashboard appear more narrow, but you should be able to scroll left and right.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

I hope you are doing well.

1. Here is the screen snapshot. There are spaces on the left and right but I don't have a bar to move left or right at the bottom, so this is exactly how it looks. Do you know if I can make the dashboard wider?
    2. I've received the work order to provide a link to the dashboard for these 58 people. However, there's a catch: they only need access to the donut chart in the dashboard, and they don't have licenses. My question is, do I need to create 58 separate metrics sheets corresponding to 58 different dashboards, or is there a more efficient way to handle this situation? Your advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way to make the dashboard itself wider.

You can add each of them as unlicensed users to the account. They do not need a license, only log-in credentials.

Once they have the log-in credentials, you can set all of your filters to "Current User" and share the same (single) dashboard to everyone.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Paul, for your prompt response.

If I'd like to add them to the log-in credentials, do I need to access the Admin Center to do so?

However, if adding them as unlicensed users to the account isn't possible, does this mean I'd have to create 58 separate dashboards, each corresponding to their respective metrics?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and yes.

10xViz.com

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Paul.. I have a headache now. 😫

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul

If I were to instruct these 58 individuals (who are actually students) to create a Smartsheet account using their student email addresses and subsequently share the dashboard with them via these email addresses, would they have the capability to view the dashboard when I apply the "Current User" filter?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes they would. It doesn't matter their account type, paid vs free, licensed vs unlicensed, etc.. As long as they have a way to actually log in so that Smartsheet knows who is viewing the dashboard, "Current User" will work.

10xViz.com

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the clarification, Paul. If I wish to utilize "Current Users" for the dashboard, do I need to employ the Report Widget along with Charts that source data from a Report, limiting the display to "Current Users"? Is this the most efficient method, or are there alternatives that might be more streamlined than generating a report?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty much it. Everything needs to be filtered by "Current User".

10xViz.com

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul

I set the formula on the column of Complete Hours of Service Events. Please see the formula on the graph 2. However, for row 17 - 21, it seems the calculation doesn't work but for other rows work. Do you know what I did wrong?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The leading zeros are causing issues. You will need a helper column that converts all rows to text strings and then reference this helper column instead.

=[Student ID Number]@row + ""

column name plus quote quote

10xViz.com

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Paul again.

This is my report. I filtered the "Current User" here.

I've utilized the report mentioned above to create the two donut charts in the dashboard. Nevertheless, I'm looking to display the Current User's name as a title when he/she accesses this dashboard. Do you have any insights on how to achieve this?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to do that is with a report in a report widget.

10xViz.com

• AAL
    AAL ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

I've implemented the "Current User" filter in my report and embedded it into the dashboard. Would this be the approach you suggest for displaying the student's name as a title?