Is the a formulas that counts cells? Sheet limit question

Options

Hi, I was wondering if there a formula that can count the number of cells in a sheet? I'm trying to make sure we don't go over Smartsheet limits. Also do the sheet limits count all cells in a row or only those cell with information in them?

Thank you

Kim

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It depends on which limit you are wanting to calculate for, but the general rule of thumb is that all cells will be counted in a row that has been used regardless of whether or not the cell is blank.

• Marcela
    Marcela Employee Admin
    Options

Hello @Kimbh,

Please note the sheet component maximum:

Rows: 20,000

Columns: 400

Cells: 500,000

Characters in a cell: 4,000

Inbound cell links: 500,000

Unique cells referenced in cross-sheet formulas: 100,000

To determine how close you are to the 500,000 cell limit, multiply the number of columns in your sheet by the number of rows. For example, a sheet with 20,000 rows can only have 25 or fewer columns, and a sheet with 400 columns can only have 1,250 or fewer rows.

More information about this topic can be found in our Help Center Article: System Requirements and Guidelines for using Smartsheet.

Cheers,

Marcela.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/10/23
    Options

Hi @Kimbh

I use the Sheet Summary fields to count columns and rows and then multiply them to get total cell count.

TtlColumns: =COUNT([ColA]1:[ColZ]1) + COUNTIF([ColA]1:[ColZ]1, "") + 1

TtlRows: =COUNT([ColA]:[ColA]) + COUNTIF([ColA]:[ColA], "")

TotalCells: =TtlColumns# * TtlRows#

(Replace ColA and ColZ with your first and last column names)

In a new, blank first row, use an existing column to reference the TotalCells# field from the Summary pane AND have specific text (TOTAL CELL COUNT) in another column to use as a condition for automation. (I color this row orange.)

Automation notifies me when that number is greater than 350,000 and the other column contains the specific text.

When I reach the limit I delete rows. If we need to retain the info, I'll create a new sheet from the existing and then delete the data on the existing sheet. My example is an archive sheet that has rows automatically moved to it.

Hope this helps!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!