Why is the workflow running at 1am?

I set up a workflow that when a box is checked and it is a certain market, the workflow is to run daily by sending an email to specific group of people to alert that particular box is checked. The boxes are being checked at around 4pm but the automation email is not being sent until 1am or 3am the following day. Am I missing a step?

Trigger: When rows are changed

When: a certain box is checked

Run workflow: Daily

Condition: a certain market

Alert someone: it's getting sent to specific people

I'm wondering if I should run workflow when triggered but afraid the email will be sent multiple times. Or would it not get sent until the spreadsheet is saved so it will send one email?

Best Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Daily means that it will have to capture the whole day's worth - the sheet does not know that the box checking occurs at 4pm, so it leaves it until the following morning in case you were to (hypothetically) add something at 11:57pm.

If you want the process to run and only capture that day's rows with the box checked, you can alter the trigger to "When Date is Reached" and use the "Custom" to pick Repeat Daily (or pick workdays only on Weekly). This will let you also pick the time (e.g. 5pm). You may need to add additional conditions, but this should help you get started.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Zalihta,

Daily means all that meet the criteria will run in a batch once a day, and you don't set the time.

What you're wondering is correct. Set it for "when triggered", and it will run/execute the automation within minutes of being saved (but not before it's saved).

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Daily means that it will have to capture the whole day's worth - the sheet does not know that the box checking occurs at 4pm, so it leaves it until the following morning in case you were to (hypothetically) add something at 11:57pm.

If you want the process to run and only capture that day's rows with the box checked, you can alter the trigger to "When Date is Reached" and use the "Custom" to pick Repeat Daily (or pick workdays only on Weekly). This will let you also pick the time (e.g. 5pm). You may need to add additional conditions, but this should help you get started.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Zalihta,

Daily means all that meet the criteria will run in a batch once a day, and you don't set the time.

What you're wondering is correct. Set it for "when triggered", and it will run/execute the automation within minutes of being saved (but not before it's saved).

• Zalihta
    Zalihta ✭✭

@Ray Lindstrom @Nick Korna

Thank you both! Very helpful :)

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

All the best to you both!

-Ray