Tasks across projects - Dynamically

I know you can create a report that can be configured to show all your tasks across all projects. When you create the report you have to specify the sheets. My question is if there is some way to make sheet selection dynamic. For example in the PMO template there is the Project Level directory where project plans are stored. I want the 'My Tasks' reports accessible to all users but ideally it would use all sheets in the directory so when you add new project plans the report continues to work instead of having to add that new project plan/sheet to the report each time you create one. Is that possible somehow?

If you've ever used Microsoft Planner, this is the 'Tasks by Planner and ToDo' functionality.

Thanks...

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Steve_Mitchell

I hope you're well and safe!

One workaround I sometimes use in my client solution is to filter on the sheet's name, like Project Schedule.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Steve_Mitchell
    Steve_Mitchell ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå,

Thank you for the reply. As an avid motorcyclist - safety is my #1 priority ;-) I hope you are well and safe as well.

I'm not sure I follow your suggestion. My issue is not selecting sheets or filtering on what's there. The issue is when new projects (sheets as project plans) get added (in different folders under +Project Level folder). Since they were not there when the tasks report was created, how do they get added without having to modify the report and re-select (add)? Does that make sense? This may not be a big deal if only a handful of new projects are added but in orgs where new projects are spun up often, the PM will spend lots of unnecessary time modifying the tasks report when adding new projects.

I assuming that functionality (which to me is a pretty core requirement for users to see all their tasks) is not that robust and a product enhancement is in order...?