Updating report columns

I have a sheet that is used for financials. It has columns 12 months out. After each month the columns change to the next 12 months and so on. I have many reports that utilize this sheet. However, when the month column name changes all the reports break. I realize I can go into each of the reports and fix each column but that is very manual. Is there any way to get the columns in the report to be automatically updated with the new column names?

Answers

• Alpha Chucky
    Alpha Chucky ✭✭✭✭

Hello hiker360; I think this is need for more clarification and understanding your setup to provide the best solution. Given the sensitivity of the data, you may not want to share a screen shot, but it might help at least on this forum.

What I'm thinking is that you need a lookup table that feed your other sheets and reports and make any require changes there so your other sheets and reports reflect the same info. If you need more how-to guidance, let us know.

Projects Delivered. Data Defended.

• hiker360
    hiker360 ✭✭✭

Not sure I understand about the lookup table. Can you explain. Wouldn't that have the same issue with the column names? Here are my column names. I want to rename the 2023-09 to 2023-10 and same for all the columns to the right. Anything I do the column names won't be reflected in a report without manual intervention. I'm looking for something more automated.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you thought of using generic column names such as "Current Month", "Current Month +1", so on and so forth?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• hiker360
    hiker360 ✭✭✭

Paul, thanks for your comment. That is where I'm going if I can't make it work with actual month names.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Using actual month names is going to be a manual process. I'm not even sure if it can be done through the API.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• hiker360
    hiker360 ✭✭✭

I am programmatically changing the sheet column header information. However, I agree, I do not see away to programmatically make any changes to a report.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Reporting functions in the API are very limited unfortunately.

10xViz.com