Possible w/auto copy to new to include source sheet name?

Is there a way to capture the source sheet name when using a workflow to copy a row into a different sheet in a different workspace? I've looked at everything and cannot figure out how to grab the source sheet name at all.

Thank you! 🙂

Standardize! Templatize! Automate!

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/30/23 Answer ✓

Hi @cvvasey

I don't believe there is a way to "grab" the source sheet name like there is in Excel (you can add this as a feature request, see this post).

However, there are a couple of workarounds. I think adding the field to the sheet summary and grabbing it from there will be the most reliable.

Click on this icon on the right

Click "+ New Field"

Enter "Sheet Name" as your field name and click "OK"

Then enter your sheet name (here mine is "Sample Sheet" in the box. And click the X to close.

You can now "grab" the sheet name using this formula.

=[Sheet Name]#

If you right click on the cell where you enter the formula and choose "Convert to column formula" it will appear on all new rows.

Then, when you copy the row, this column goes with it. You have to make sure to update the Sheet Summary if you change the sheet name (which isn't ideal - maybe someone else has a better plan).

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/30/23 Answer ✓

Hi @cvvasey

I don't believe there is a way to "grab" the source sheet name like there is in Excel (you can add this as a feature request, see this post).

However, there are a couple of workarounds. I think adding the field to the sheet summary and grabbing it from there will be the most reliable.

Click on this icon on the right

Click "+ New Field"

Enter "Sheet Name" as your field name and click "OK"

Then enter your sheet name (here mine is "Sample Sheet" in the box. And click the X to close.

You can now "grab" the sheet name using this formula.

=[Sheet Name]#

If you right click on the cell where you enter the formula and choose "Convert to column formula" it will appear on all new rows.

Then, when you copy the row, this column goes with it. You have to make sure to update the Sheet Summary if you change the sheet name (which isn't ideal - maybe someone else has a better plan).

• cvvasey
    cvvasey ✭✭✭

Excellent work around. I think it'll do exactly what I need. I over look the power of the Sheet Summary to help... have to keep it in mind! I appreciate the assist. Thank you. 😁

Standardize! Templatize! Automate!

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to have helped.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!