How to look across columns with checkbox data type to make them mutually exclusive?

Options

I have 3 columns in my Project Plan that I am using to have team members fill in to indicate if their task is off track, on track, or complete. I only want them to be able to check one of the boxes. Is there a way to look across these 3 columns in a row to meet the following conditions:

1. If Off track is checked, clear checkbox for On Track and Complete columns
  2. If On Track is checked, clear checkbox for Off Track and Complete columns
  3. If Complete is checked, clear checkbox for On Track and Off Track columns

I tried to write a formula but I couldn't figure out how to do this with columns that have a Checkbox data type. I am also open to an error message. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Answers

• Hollie205
    Hollie205 ✭✭✭
    Options

Have you thought about a single dropdown in one column instead with only those options available?

With the checkbox over 3 columns you wouldn't know for sure which one to actually clear. You could do a helper column if you are set on the checkbox method to let you know that one or more of the boxes needs to be unchecked. You could combine a if and countifs and have it return whatever value you wanted in the helper column to indicate the data for that row was incorrect.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!