How can an outside user view & attach a document to rows that only have their email address?

I have a sheet the contains a list of events that my team has approved to be held. Outside event organizers (users not currently shared to the sheet) are required to submit a post-event report to us before they receive reimbursement for their cost to host the event.

I have set up an automated email that asks for their post event report. However, I don't want the report submitted via an email to me. I'd like it to be submitted as an attachment to the column that has their email address in it. I also don't want the outside user to be able to see the other columns on the sheet.

Is there a way to do this? I'm trying to keep all documents in one place and remove the need for me to attach things myself, hence why I'd like them to be able to go in themselves without sharing the whole sheet.

Best Answer

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Faith,

You would have to use Automation such as the Update Request.

Reason being that if you give Editor permission to the sheet itself; then in order to be able to allow a user to edit, they will be able to edit all rows regardless of who's name is in a column.

An Update Request can allow for file attachments.

BRgds,

-Ray

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Faith,

You would have to use Automation such as the Update Request.

Reason being that if you give Editor permission to the sheet itself; then in order to be able to allow a user to edit, they will be able to edit all rows regardless of who's name is in a column.

An Update Request can allow for file attachments.

BRgds,

-Ray

• Faith
    Faith ✭✭✭

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.