duration not adding correctly

I have a smartsheet that isn't adding the duration correctly.

I have a 7day task starting 11/15, so this should end on 11/22. On a coworker's smartsheet this task is 7d, starts on 11/15 and ends on the 11/22, as expected.

If I make this task 0 days, it ends on 11/15, and if I make it 1 day, it also ends on 11/15, which is inconsistent. To get my version of smartsheet to end on the 22nd, I have to make this a 8 day task, which is illogical.

There are no predecessors set for this task. I've tried this as a parent and a child, and the behavior is the same. I've turned "dependencies enabled" on and off, neither fixes this. What setting could be causing this?

I have the work week set inclusive of every day and holidays are work days. Therefore days should be a simple arithmetic value.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JDI

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you checked the Project Settings and the Formula(s) that there aren't any days set as free?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JDI
    JDI ✭✭

Hello @Andree,

If by free, you mean not set to be a workday (eg only working M-F and not Saturday and Sunday), correct. I've checked this multiple times. That also wouldn't explain the 0 vs 1 day duration (and both ending on the same day) inconsistency.

I'm interested in checking formulas, but I don't think that "duration" can be edited. If I'm incorrect, please let me know how I can verify that this formula is correct.

• Alan Z.
    Alan Z. ✭✭
    edited 11/09/23

Hi @JDI

I think this is because Smartsheet starts from the morning of the first day, so your day 1 is the 15th, rather than how you would naturally think of the duration.

I think you can get around this by using elapsed days "e7d"