Email alert whenever the cells within the sheets are edited

I need a workflow, which sends an email alert whenever the cells within the sheets are edited. I have more than 15 columns, and if someone if making any changes to any of the cells after the form is submitted, I need an email alert for such changes. I tried using "when rows are changed" workflow and also "when rows are added or changed" workflow, but of them are generating an email. I do not need an alert when a new form is submitted, but rather need a alert when someone make any edits to submitted data.

Can someone please help me find a solution for this?

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mounika

The "when rows are changed" workflow does not trigger my workflow when a form adds a row.🤔

If you want to make sure that someone else, that is not you, make changes to the row, you can add a condition to the workflow like this by adding the "Modified By" column and making "Modified By" is not one of Your email, demo@cloudsmart.jp, in the example below.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

Thanks for the response!

I need to get the alerts when someone (to whom the sheet was shared) edit the cells. And I have attached the workflow and also the email alert that I've received with that workflow. And the two rows added that were added were highlighted in yellow colour. I only need when the cells are edited and want them to highlighted in that email alert.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

Hi @Mounika

I don't see any problem with your workflow settings.

The problem is with your email setting since the images are broken.

You should get something like this;

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

With the same workflow I just submitted the form, and new row was added (but I did not make any changes to this row/sheet). Still, I've got an email alert with that new row, which just populated within that sheet. I do not need this every single time when the data is fed into this sheet through form submission, rather I only need to get alert when a cell is edited after the information is submitted.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

@Mounika

I suspect you have some columns that change all the column values when a row is added.

An example I created is a column with the RANKEQ function that changes all the column's cell values (rank number) when a row is added. Some types of MATCH functions can cause the same issue.

I added a "Modified by <> web-form@smartsheet.com" condition to the workflow to prevent this. If you do not set the form to require logging in to Smartsheet, you may be able to use the same condition.

As you can see from the above image, a new row at row 15 updates all the values of columns "Rankeq" and "Modified."

I added a condition as the following image to prevent these sending alerts. With this condition, the workflow only sends an alert when the changes are not by form submissions.