How to send fields that are NOT blank in an automation

Answers

• Yes, I'm looking for this exact solution. An option in all automated workflows in the messaging section to include an option Send only fields that are not blank. This would be such a great enhancement!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ash Hill & @Amanda Hoffman

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Using the placeholder feature, collect the filled answers in a so-called helper column (multiple, depending on the specific structure) and then include it in the message.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I would have to think about this. Basically, we are building a solution for spot bonus submissions for approval. Our process can allow a spot bonus nomination for 1 employee or a group of employees. Required data to send to the approver is employee name, requested spot bonus amount, and then we have one large text field for explaining/justification. My form is one drop-down selection question starting off. Is this request for: one employee, multiple employees. If they select mulitple, there is a check off field that appears that will add additional fields to fill out for the next employee. Ultimately, I have text fields for up-to 20 employees, so if they submit the request for just one, there is an employee name and employee amount field still sent to the approver to review even though there is only data for one employee.

• So I started the formula for the helper column, this was a submission with just 2 employees, the 3rd emp data would be blank. How do I ensure the formula ignores the blank fields.

=([Emp Name]@row + " = " + Amount@row + " , " + [Emp Name (2)]@row + " = " + [Amount (2)]@row + " , " + [Emp Name (3)]@row + " = " + [Amount (3)]@row)

John = 500 , Sally = 200, =

• Hi @Amanda Hoffman

What about using one column that joins together all the data:

=JOIN(COLLECT([Emp Name]@row:[Amount (20)]@row,[Emp Name]@row:[Amount (20)]@row, NOT(ISBLANK(@cell))), ", ")

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now