Auto-populating a Form

Hi,

I am trying to add more data to my form by auto-populating with the below formula:

="https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/648c11b98a0847d187a13ed81133bba7" + "?BARCODE=" + BARCODE@row + "&PATIENT%20NAME=" + SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE([PATIENT NAME]@row, " ", "%20"), ",", "%2C")

This formula populates the form with the data in the first two columns (BARCODE, PATIENT NAME) but I am having trouble adding to this to include additional columns like DOI, IV, CASE TYPE and PATIENT STATUS. I continue to get an INVALID OPERATION result.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sam

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You need the SUBSTITUTE functions as previously mentioned. Your URL that is output by the formula has...

Space between "PATIENT" and "NAME"

Comma after "EDWARDS"

Space after above mentioned comma

And I believe the forward slashes in the date also need to be percent encoded using the SUBSTITUTE method.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion would be to write out the whole thing without accounting for percent encoding of special characters. Once you see that it is outputting the correct string based on the additional fields, you can wrap the whole thing in SUBSTITUTE functions to accommodate the special characters.

="form URL?" + "BARCODE=" + BARCODE@row + "&PATIENT NAME=" + [Patient Name]@row + "&Next Field=" + [Next Field]@row

="form URL?" + SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE("BARCODE=" + BARCODE@row + "&PATIENT NAME=" + [Patient Name]@row + "&Next Field=" + [Next Field]@row, " ", "%20"), ",", "%2C")

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Sam Lugiano
    Sam Lugiano ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Paul. I think I'm a little closer but I keep running into a couple of issues. I think the are being caused by the hyperlink not continuing through the whole string as seen below.

This is the formula:

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sam Lugiano

If there is a space or comma it wont bring it into the URI

As Paul pointed out, first write the formula to bring the text together and then wrap SUBSTITUTE functions around it to replace the spaces, commas, and any other character you may need...

• Sam Lugiano
    Sam Lugiano ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. I don't think there are any commas or spaces in the formula. It does look like there are spaces on the screen shot but there are not.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You need the SUBSTITUTE functions as previously mentioned. Your URL that is output by the formula has...

Space between "PATIENT" and "NAME"

Comma after "EDWARDS"

Space after above mentioned comma

And I believe the forward slashes in the date also need to be percent encoded using the SUBSTITUTE method.

10xViz.com

• Sam Lugiano
    Sam Lugiano ✭✭✭✭✭

Great! Thank you for your help!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!