Staff show up as "unknown Name" with email address

daoppong
daoppong ✭✭
edited 11/17/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I need help fixing a filter issue. I wanted to filter a staff to get the list of his caseload but as you can see in the first image below, I'm not able to find him below by his full name. He is listed as "Unknown Name" with the email address listed. However, after filtering him by "unknown Name" as is, he showed up(full name listed with his caseload as seen below on the second image, last column to the right. I don't know what the issue is what I'm not doing right, and how to fix this. Any recommendations/Thoughts? Thanks.

Daniel Oppong

Results with Unnamed filter

Answers

• Hey @daoppong

There are a few ways that change how contacts appear.

• The name you associate with that email in your personal "My Smartsheet Contacts"
    • The name you apply to that email in the cell of the sheet
    • The name that the user has set in their personal settings

Is it possible that in your Contacts you've added the correct Name with the email (so it shows in the cell), but that this user has not added any name to their Smartsheet profile? See: Manage your personal profile

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• hassell
    hassell
    edited 02/01/24

My sheet today just started doing this as well with the "unknown name" issue. When I set the sheet up weeks ago all names and contacts came in with no issues and it's been working since. Now when I go in to adjust an automation all of the names come up as "unknown name". What have I done to cause this and or how is this resolved? I've verified all of the suggestions above.

• Hi @hassell

If none of the above steps have worked for you, please reach out to Smartsheet Support with a full screen recording of what you're seeing, including showing multiple sheets, the workflow ID (or show that it happens on multiple workflows), your contact list, and how the values are input in the contact column.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I recently had this issue. I had a contact in a row and would only show up as Unknown User in the workflows. The name was in the workflow prior to joining the account, so after adding them to our account, I had to DELETE the row completely and create a new row with their new contact info and then they appeared correctly in the workflows. That could be a hassle if you're experiencing this in a lot of rows, but it's what fixed my issue.