Formula to return the SUM of prices from a cell with multiple values (multiselect column)

montserrat
montserrat ✭✭✭
edited 11/16/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello!

I'm sure someone has encountered this issue before so hopefully there's a work around it.

We have a tracker with multiple service requests. We document each request in a very detailed way here. We already have a lot of columns here, so adding more than 2-3 is not an option.

From a multi-select column named "Transaction", users can select from a long list of transactions names as many as they need. Each transaction has a different price. I need to build a formula that SUM the prices of all the transactions selected, searching in a helper sheet for the price associated with each transaction.

Is there a mix of functions that could help me achieve this? I was thinking that maybe COLLECT with VLOOKUP but not sure if they work together.

Any guidance would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will need to incorporate the HAS function to get it to sum from multiple rows on a reference sheet based on a single cell that is multi-select dropdown.

=SUMIFS({Reference Sheet $$ Column}, {Reference Sheet Selection Column}, HAS([Selection Column]@row, @cell))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@montserrat

You should be able to use a SUMIF

=SUMIF({Helper Sheet Range 1},=Transaction@row,{Helper Sheet Range 2})

Helper Sheet Range 1 = Transaction Names

Helper Sheet Range 2 = Number to add up

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will need to incorporate the HAS function to get it to sum from multiple rows on a reference sheet based on a single cell that is multi-select dropdown.

=SUMIFS({Reference Sheet $$ Column}, {Reference Sheet Selection Column}, HAS([Selection Column]@row, @cell))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• montserrat
    montserrat ✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome

OMG! You have just simplified an issue that I've been dealing with for months. I was sure this was impossible and focused on converting strings into numbers. How wrong I was!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your solution worked perfectly.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍

Keep in mind though... The only reason this works is because you are using the multi-select dropdown. Anything else does add more complexity.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!