Automation in Preventative Maintenence

Options

Hey all,

I'm trying to get it so that I have a recurring input every 4 weeks on the next open row? I'm using a template and I've got a linking column that identifies following the approval that a line is completed to lock and set the date for the row. Is it possible to take the task again move the start and end date by 31 days and have it assigned to the next open row?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Averi Peterson

Thanks for clarifying! So you're looking to have a recurring set of rows (e.g. 30 rows) with the exact same Titles populate in the sheet on a specific date.

In this case, what you could do is use a secondary sheet with all the rows listed. Then have a Copy Row workflow set up with a Date Based trigger:

That way every month you'll have new rows in the sheet. You'll need to update the Dates to be your new dates, but the rows with the static data will appear when you need them to.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Averi Peterson

If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd like to have the Start Date of the next row be 31 days after there's an End Date in the top row.

In this instance, what I would do is have some helper columns to be able to surface the Row Number in the sheet. That way you can use an INDEX function to look into the End Date column and return the previous row's Date + 31.

=INDEX([End Date]:[End Date], [Row ID]@row - 1) + 31

To do this, add an Auto Number column to the sheet, I titled mine Auto. Then use a second, helper column with a formula to look at this column and always return the current row number (even if the rows are moved around).

=MATCH(Auto@row, Auto:Auto, 0)

Then you can use this Row ID column to find the current row and subtract 1, then index the Date column:

Let me know if this is what you're looking for!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Averi Peterson
    Options

Unfortunately that's not really what I mean,

I've got 20 machines. When one machine is completed it creates a new tasks of the same name as the one completed with the start date being the beginning of the following month and end date 31 days from that.

I hope this made sense. Thanks for your help!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Averi Peterson

Thanks for clarifying! So you're looking to have a recurring set of rows (e.g. 30 rows) with the exact same Titles populate in the sheet on a specific date.

In this case, what you could do is use a secondary sheet with all the rows listed. Then have a Copy Row workflow set up with a Date Based trigger:

That way every month you'll have new rows in the sheet. You'll need to update the Dates to be your new dates, but the rows with the static data will appear when you need them to.

Cheers,

Genevieve