Automation copy row into the same file

I have a file that primarily receives information from a form. I'd like each time someone inputs a new item, two additional copies of the same line are generated. The first copy should change one value in the column labeled 'BAF' from 'Budget' to 'Actuals,' and the next row should change from 'Budget' to 'Forecast.' I'm unsure if row automation can accomplish this, or if you have any alternative suggestions.

Thanks

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers
    Answer ✓

Hi @Raul Cabrera

You can do this but will require two extra sheets to achieve it.

Every time a new row is added, set up a automation to copy that row to the two other sheets but only where the BAF column contains Budget

On the first other sheet have an automation set up to change the BAF column from Budget to Forecast on any new rows added.

Then have a second automation move that row back to the originating sheet, move not copy otherwise you will end up just cluttering the first other sheet with duplicated info.

On the second other sheet have an automation set up to change the BAF column from Budget to Actuals on any new rows added.

Then have a second automation move that row back to the originating sheet, move not copy otherwise you will end up just cluttering the second sheet with duplicated info.

You will then end up with three identical rows except for the different values in the BAF column.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

Answers

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers
    Answer ✓

Hi @Raul Cabrera

You can do this but will require two extra sheets to achieve it.

Every time a new row is added, set up a automation to copy that row to the two other sheets but only where the BAF column contains Budget

On the first other sheet have an automation set up to change the BAF column from Budget to Forecast on any new rows added.

Then have a second automation move that row back to the originating sheet, move not copy otherwise you will end up just cluttering the first other sheet with duplicated info.

On the second other sheet have an automation set up to change the BAF column from Budget to Actuals on any new rows added.

Then have a second automation move that row back to the originating sheet, move not copy otherwise you will end up just cluttering the second sheet with duplicated info.

You will then end up with three identical rows except for the different values in the BAF column.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

• I am working on the automation but now that i try to run i received the following error

• I will answer myself in order that anyone who see this knows what happened. In the main sheet I have a column with column property "# Auto number", then I am assuming that the automation cannot take that information and translate to other sheet than the column property is other. Since the moment that I change the property column to text, the automated flow starts to work again.

• Marcela
    Marcela Employee

Raul,

Thank you very much for sharing your solution!

Cheers!

Marcela

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!