Request approval

Options

What does this mean? I am requesting approval. I need to know if they approved or declined...now submitted because idk if they approved or declined

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It means the recipient hasn't responded to the email that they were sent from the automation.

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome So why does it say submitted? What does submitted mean then?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It means the approval request has been sent but that it has not yet been responded to.

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome Is there a way to change it from submitted to pending?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @JenaW

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, you can change it in the Advanced options.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭
    edited 12/01/23
    Options

@Andrée Starå But that doesn't give me an option to make it pending

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can change the word "Submitted" to "Pending" by typing "Pending" into the box that has "Submitted" in it, then click on "OK".

• JenaW
    JenaW ✭✭
    Options
  • krieves
    krieves ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Is there a way to show a list of people who have not yet responded? In other words, how can I create a column formula to show the names of people who are still showing "Submitted" or "Pending?"

Thank you, wizards!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @krieves

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• krieves
    krieves ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå !

Trying to simplify my project in case it's applicable to anyone else :)

I am working on a sheet to track contract approvals. There will be several approvers on each row, and I want to be able to quickly see who still needs to approve each. I have a column set up for each approver that records a date that they either approved or declined the approval request, as well as an approval column that shows the status (Submitted, Approved, or Declined).

I'm just wondering how I can fill in the "Pending Approvers" column to show any contacts listed in the "Approvers" line whose status is still listed as "Submitted" in the approval columns. Apologies if I'm not explaining it very well!

• krieves
    krieves ✭✭✭
    edited 04/23/24
    Options

I'm hoping there is a way to show all the "Approvers" under the "Pending Approvers" column, and automatically move them to the "Approved By" column when they respond to the request-for-approval automation. If there were an automation available to "Unassign" contacts, that would be ideal!

Thank you for your time and help on this!

• krieves
    krieves ✭✭✭
    Options

So sorry for all the additional posts, but I was able to sort it out! It's a bit convoluted, but my solution is this:

1) Set an automation to clear the "Pending Approvers" column - triggered every morning.

2) Set an automation for EACH approver to assign them to the "Pending Approvers" column - triggered every morning, an hour after the first automation, under the conditions that they are A) listed in the "Approvers" column and B) their approval status is NOT Approved or Declined.

3) Set an automation for EACH approver to assign them to the "Approved By" column, triggered by the change in their approval status to either Approved or Declined. I added a condition here that they are listed in the "Approvers" column, but that's probably unnecessary.

This only works if each approver has their own Approval Status column, but in my case, it's totally worth the effort. Thank you for letting me work this out by writing it all out on this forum. Maybe it will help someone in the future! I'm also still very open to hear other thoughts and options :) Screenshots of my automations below:

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@krieves

Excellent!

Glad you got it working!

Please support the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!