links to pivot sheet cells do not hold the link

Options
MarkCep
MarkCep ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/14/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have created a pivot sheet. I then from another sheet link a cell to the pivot sheet but the link does not hold. This just started happening with newly created pivot sheets.

I have a number of older pivot sheet created and the cell links are fine.

I also use pivot cell links in my dashboard metrics, they are now coming up with "missing data" for the metric.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MarkCep

Can you clarify exactly what cells you're linking to?

Depending on how the source data changes, Pivot may update all the cells within specific columns, but it may also add new columns or delete rows. This would invalidate certain links as the reference would no longer exist.

I would personally use the Sheet Summary panel to create calculations based on row data so that Metric Widgets have a static place to look at for their source.

If that won't work for you, it would be helpful to know more about your specific configuration and Pivot set-up.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MarkCep

Can you clarify exactly what cells you're linking to?

Depending on how the source data changes, Pivot may update all the cells within specific columns, but it may also add new columns or delete rows. This would invalidate certain links as the reference would no longer exist.

I would personally use the Sheet Summary panel to create calculations based on row data so that Metric Widgets have a static place to look at for their source.

If that won't work for you, it would be helpful to know more about your specific configuration and Pivot set-up.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• MarkCep
    MarkCep ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Genevieve

Thank you for the response. I think SS may have fixed the bug. the data in the pivot when refreshed would break the link, no data change was even made, just by running the pivot it would break the link. I have been doing pivots for years using the data to link to in my metrics, never had an issue and I have been dealing with a good bit of data. I do use the sheet summary for calculation, but the beauty of pivots it can sort that data for what I am looking for, the formula for the same end results would be horrifically long. All seems to be working as expected now.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Thank you for following up and for clarifying! I'm glad to hear this is working for you again, now 🙂