DataMesh - Always add a new row

Options
12edrah
12edrah ✭✭
edited 12/20/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

I'm trying to use datamesh where I want it to always add a new line to the target sheet, even if the Lookup Value is a duplicate.

When I add a new line to the source sheet, if the lookup value is unique, it will successfully copy over to the target, but if it is a duplicate, it doesn't do anything.

How could I achieve this?

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @12edrah

DataMesh is built to eliminate duplicates so there isn't a way to add every single new row. Would a regular Copy Row workflow from the source sheet do the trick?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• 12edrah
    12edrah ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for your reply.

I was able to figure it out!

I added an Auto Number column to the source and target sheet, but gave them different Prefixes so that they will never be the same. Then I just used that as the Lookup Value for both. 😊

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Aha! Very clever. Thanks for posting your solution!

• 12edrah
    12edrah ✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

Ah, bad news. This won't work. It looks like it's looping because it can't find a match, so it's continuously sending the same lines and creating new lines on the target sheet.

We have an Intake Form for the source sheet, and we only want to send some of the columns to the target sheet, not all. But we want all form entries to move over, which is why we need each entry to create a new line on the target sheet, even if the form is filled in with duplicate data. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @12edrah

I missed that the AutoNumbers had different prefixes - instead, you'll want the AutoNumber values to be the exact same across both sheets.

That way when there's a new row in Sheet 1, the AutoNumber doesn't exist on Sheet 2 and so the row is added. Then next time there's a new row it will skip all the previous rows. Both sheets will currently need the exact same number and values in the auto-number column to start, otherwise you'll get duplicate rows. Does that make sense?