Workflow Best Practice in Smartsheet on below scenario

Dear Smart Team,

I hope all are doing well.

I am having below scenario of workflow with 7 to 8 level of approval.

1) Scenario 1, Type in (A, B, C) This workflow is requires 1 verification and 7 Approval (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)

2) Scenario 2. Type in (D, E, F) This workflow is requires 1 verification and 6 Approval (1,3,4,5,6,7)

From above scenarios kindly suggest best practice or point out one of the below step.

1) for Scenario 2, It's better to skip 2 level of approval sequence and directly go to 3rd Approval once 1st is approved.

2) for Scenario 2, It's better to bring 3rd approval detail into 2nd Approval level using "IF" formula

Kindly request team to suggest best solution for above scenario.

Appreciate prompt support.

Thanks and best regards.

Best Answer

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/24/23 Answer ✓

Hi @Ibrahim Khaleel

I would use the first option to skip 2nd approval.

In the demo sheet below in the published dashboard, the 2nd Approval workflow sends approval requests depending on whether the type is normal or not. (choice is skip 2).

• If normal, send approval request to Approver 2
    • If not, send the approval request to Approval 3

The best practice for cascading approval requests is to make a workflow simple and create multiple workflows for each level. As you see in the 2nd and 3rd Approval workflow, the trigger is lower level Approvals, Approval 1 approved for the Approve 2 workflow, and Approval 2 approval for the Approval 3 workflow.

As you can see, the 3rd Approver gets approval requests from either the right-hand side branch of the 2nd Approval workflow or the 3rd Approval workflow.

The sheet in the demo dashboard is set as editable, so you can check how the workflow works by adding a new row by chosing the type and changing the approvers email to the email you can receive. (If the email is sensitive, make sure to remove the information after the test.)

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    edited 12/24/23 Answer ✓

Hi @Ibrahim Khaleel

I would use the first option to skip 2nd approval.

In the demo sheet below in the published dashboard, the 2nd Approval workflow sends approval requests depending on whether the type is normal or not. (choice is skip 2).

• If normal, send approval request to Approver 2
    • If not, send the approval request to Approval 3

The best practice for cascading approval requests is to make a workflow simple and create multiple workflows for each level. As you see in the 2nd and 3rd Approval workflow, the trigger is lower level Approvals, Approval 1 approved for the Approve 2 workflow, and Approval 2 approval for the Approval 3 workflow.

As you can see, the 3rd Approver gets approval requests from either the right-hand side branch of the 2nd Approval workflow or the 3rd Approval workflow.

The sheet in the demo dashboard is set as editable, so you can check how the workflow works by adding a new row by chosing the type and changing the approvers email to the email you can receive. (If the email is sensitive, make sure to remove the information after the test.)

• Ibrahim Khaleel
    Ibrahim Khaleel ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Jmiyazak,

Thanks for prompt support.

I will go with the same way as presented and let you know.

Best regards.

• Ibrahim Khaleel
    Ibrahim Khaleel ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Jmiyazak,

Kindly Let me know, Is it better to keep individual workflow (per approval) or keep all in one workflow.

Thanks.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

Hi @Ibrahim Khaleel

As shown in the example, I prefer to keep individual workflow (per approval) and cascade them.

Reason:

• It's much more straightforward.
    • The workflow panel must be larger to manage the complicated workflow with many branches.
    • Approval requests typically do not require an instant trigger of the next steps.
  • Ibrahim Khaleel
    Ibrahim Khaleel ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Jmiyazak,

I have created individual workflow per approval and now it's working perfectly.

Best regards. 👍️

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!