Using Countifs to Check for Multiple and Exact Conditions

Greetings! Reaching out to this group for assistance in creating a formula that counts the number of times a certain Product is associated with a given Account ID. The challenge is that the Account IDs may include the same characters but differ based on the case of a letter (a cap or small "a" at the end of the IDs shown below).

The objective is to find the quantity of Product A uniquely associated with Account ID 0011N00001FG8aA and uniquely associated with Account ID 0011N00001FG8aa. Similar formulas will be created to find the quantity of Products B and C for each unique Account ID as well.

Thank you for your assistance with this request.

John

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In that case you are going to need to incorporate the FIND function as that is the only one that is case sensitive.

=COUNTIFS({Product}, @cell = "Product A", {ID}, FIND("0011N00001FG8aA", @cell)> 0)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saying that an account ID ending in a capital "A" is to be treated as different from an account ID with the same prefix but ending in a lower case "a"?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• John Crick
    John Crick ✭✭✭

Hi, Paul. Yes, the IDs ending in capital "A" are to be treated separately from the IDs ending in lowercase "a".

The third-party system we use for account management creates unique IDs in this manner. The ability to differentiate an ID based on case allows them to significantly expand the number of unique IDs.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In that case you are going to need to incorporate the FIND function as that is the only one that is case sensitive.

=COUNTIFS({Product}, @cell = "Product A", {ID}, FIND("0011N00001FG8aA", @cell)> 0)

10xViz.com

• John Crick
    John Crick ✭✭✭

Thanks, Paul! That seemed to work as needed! Appreciate the help and quick turn!

John

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!