'Project Category' column in 'Project Intake Sheet' of "PMO Template"

I'm really struggling to understand the 'Project Category' column of the 'Project Intake Sheet'. Frankly, I don't know what I should call the columns because department names as suggested in some YouTube videos doesn't make sense in my instance.

Will these categories impact the project/portfolio dashboard in some way? Perhaps, if I understood the impact on the dashboard or impact elsewhere, then maybe I could determine what categories I should use...can anybody help?

Best Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/31/23 Answer ✓

Hi @smartnewbie

This is what I found out about the PMO Template.

Will these categories impact the project/portfolio dashboard in some way? 

Yes, they do in the portfolio dashboard.

"Number of projects by Statatus" chart

For example, in the demo dashboard below, you can see the # of Projects by Schedule Health" chart; the chart gets the values from the bottom "Portfolio Metrics" sheet.

And the "Portfolio Metrics" sheet gets those values from the "Intake Sheet", using those formulas;

• [Project Schedule Health (Active) Green: Red]at [Category 2] column:
      • =COUNT(COLLECT({Project ID}, {Project Status}, "In Progress", {Project Category}, [Category 2]$1, {Schedule Health}, $Label@row))

In the above formula, {Project Category} references the [Project Category] column of the Intake Sheet. The formula counts the Project ID of the Intake Sheet whose {Project Status} is "In Progress" and {Project Category} range matches [Category 2]$1, which is set to "Category 2". So, if you change the [Category 2]$1 value to something else, the chart will show zero for Category 2.

"Number of projects by Status" chart

The same reference type exists for the Number of projects by Status metrics. It gets the value from the Portfolio Metrics sheet, which gets the value from the Intake Sheet, using the Project Category as a key.

• =COUNT(COLLECT({Project ID}, {Project Status}, $Label@row, {Project Category}, [Category 2]$1))

What categories should I use?

If you want to use the formulas and reference structure of the template, study the Project Management Office Portfolio Rollup dashboard. The two charts in the dashboard use the Category values as keys to get chart values.

So, if you want charts showing the Number of projects or # of Projects by Schedule Health by region, use the region as the category. Please change  [Category 1]$1 to [Category 3]$1 values to your chosen category values in the Portfolio Metrics sheet.

• che.rabajante
    che.rabajante ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @smartnewbie

It seems the 'Project Category' column isn't entirely affecting the dashboard, but there's potential in how we utilize it.

I've adapted it as the 'Project Type' for the construction projects I oversee. This means configuring dropdown options such as 'Buildings' and 'Land Development' to neatly categorize these specific construction projects. How this shows up on the dashboard depends on your preference: we can create charts based on project types or display project statuses sorted by 'Buildings' and 'Land Development' for a more detailed perspective.

Hope this helps.🙂

che

Answers

• smartnewbie
    smartnewbie ✭✭
    edited 12/31/23

Typo error edit: "I don't know what I should call the columns..." should read "I don't know what I should call the CATEGORIES..."

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/31/23 Answer ✓

Hi @smartnewbie

This is what I found out about the PMO Template.

Will these categories impact the project/portfolio dashboard in some way? 

Yes, they do in the portfolio dashboard.

"Number of projects by Statatus" chart

For example, in the demo dashboard below, you can see the # of Projects by Schedule Health" chart; the chart gets the values from the bottom "Portfolio Metrics" sheet.

And the "Portfolio Metrics" sheet gets those values from the "Intake Sheet", using those formulas;

• [Project Schedule Health (Active) Green: Red]at [Category 2] column:
      • =COUNT(COLLECT({Project ID}, {Project Status}, "In Progress", {Project Category}, [Category 2]$1, {Schedule Health}, $Label@row))

In the above formula, {Project Category} references the [Project Category] column of the Intake Sheet. The formula counts the Project ID of the Intake Sheet whose {Project Status} is "In Progress" and {Project Category} range matches [Category 2]$1, which is set to "Category 2". So, if you change the [Category 2]$1 value to something else, the chart will show zero for Category 2.

"Number of projects by Status" chart

The same reference type exists for the Number of projects by Status metrics. It gets the value from the Portfolio Metrics sheet, which gets the value from the Intake Sheet, using the Project Category as a key.

• =COUNT(COLLECT({Project ID}, {Project Status}, $Label@row, {Project Category}, [Category 2]$1))

What categories should I use?

If you want to use the formulas and reference structure of the template, study the Project Management Office Portfolio Rollup dashboard. The two charts in the dashboard use the Category values as keys to get chart values.

So, if you want charts showing the Number of projects or # of Projects by Schedule Health by region, use the region as the category. Please change  [Category 1]$1 to [Category 3]$1 values to your chosen category values in the Portfolio Metrics sheet.

• che.rabajante
    che.rabajante ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @smartnewbie

It seems the 'Project Category' column isn't entirely affecting the dashboard, but there's potential in how we utilize it.

I've adapted it as the 'Project Type' for the construction projects I oversee. This means configuring dropdown options such as 'Buildings' and 'Land Development' to neatly categorize these specific construction projects. How this shows up on the dashboard depends on your preference: we can create charts based on project types or display project statuses sorted by 'Buildings' and 'Land Development' for a more detailed perspective.

Hope this helps.🙂

che