Formula that can read multiple cells and return a value from one cell.

Hello!

I'm looking for assistance with creating a formula to return a value in the Formula Result row pictured below. The formula I'm experimenting with should read the cells within the 6 rows.

For example, in the first row, the formula result should say "Draft", and in the second row, the formula result should read "Sent" and the third row should read "Delivered", etc.

The formulas that I'm using is below and is not returning a result at all, but I can still see the formula in the column. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. 😊

=IF([Non-Exempt (Ext)]@row <> ", [Non-Exempt (Ext)]@row, IF([Non-Exempt (Int)]@row <>", [Non-Exempt (Int)]@row, IF([F(Ext)]@row <> ", [F(Ext)]@row, IF([F(Int)]@row <>", [F(Int)]@row, IF([C(Ext)]@row <> ", [C(Ext)]@row, IF([C(Int)]@row <>", [C(Int)]@row)))

Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

• Waynedalf
    Waynedalf ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi.

It looks like you're missing some quote marks and some brackets at the end.

=IF([Non-Exempt (Ext)]@row <> "", [Non-Exempt (Ext)]@row, IF([Non-Exempt (Int)]@row <> "", [Non-Exempt (Int)]@row, IF([F(Ext)]@row <> "", [F(Ext)]@row, IF([F(Int)]@row <> "", [F(Int)]@row, IF([C(Ext)]@row <> "", [C(Ext)]@row, IF([C(Int)]@row <> "", [C(Int)]@row))))))

should work.

Also make it a column formula - apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs at this point.

Answers

• Waynedalf
    Waynedalf ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi.

It looks like you're missing some quote marks and some brackets at the end.

=IF([Non-Exempt (Ext)]@row <> "", [Non-Exempt (Ext)]@row, IF([Non-Exempt (Int)]@row <> "", [Non-Exempt (Int)]@row, IF([F(Ext)]@row <> "", [F(Ext)]@row, IF([F(Int)]@row <> "", [F(Int)]@row, IF([C(Ext)]@row <> "", [C(Ext)]@row, IF([C(Int)]@row <> "", [C(Int)]@row))))))

should work.

Also make it a column formula - apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs at this point.

• That worked! Thanks so much. :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!