Triggering user for automations

Donald
Donald ✭✭
edited 05/29/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a form that is used to email information to a group who then uses that information to update other systems. I have the automation notifications set to come from the triggering user but they are all coming from me instead (I assume that is because I am the sheet and form owner). How do I get the email notifications to come from the person who submitted the form so that the reply to email will be theirs?

Answers

• florian.zbinden7
    florian.zbinden7 ✭✭✭✭

hi @Donald ,

can you try configuring the workflow based on the requestor column by using "send to contacts in a cell" ?

BR and a happy new year,

Florian

• Donald
    Donald ✭✭

I don't see how that will help - I have the form set to SEND to the people I need, I want it to COME FROM the actual person who sent it instead of me as the owner of the sheet.

• florian.zbinden7
    florian.zbinden7 ✭✭✭✭

not sure I get it. can you share screenshots that would help ?

• Donald
    Donald ✭✭

Let me try this:

How do I get the notification sent to be from the triggering user if the user is not signed in to Smartsheet or does not have access to Smartsheet. Right now, the form notification I have set up through the automation comes to me from me. If I hit reply all, the email I am about to send is addressed to me and me. For some reason I am the triggering user for all of the notifications even though I am not the one who filled out the form.

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

A user who is not signed in or does not have access to Smartsheet is not the triggering user. I mean, I do not see how they can be the triggering user.

What is the trigger? If it's time based, the alert comes from the owner.

• Donald
    Donald ✭✭

They are the triggering user because they filled out and submitted the form.

• Martin_M
    Martin_M ✭✭✭✭

The "triggering user" needs to have these fields filled out in the Profile Settings for the "Sent from Triggering User" option to work.

My guess is, that the person also would need to be registered and have a valid email address entered for any automation to properly function.