Can you index/match partial values

I am working to index match project names based on matching PO values.

There are PO values of 4 digits, 7 digits, and more than 7 digits. The PO values greater than 7 digits all begin with 7 digits that are already listed in the working sheet. The reason they exceed 7 digits are for iterations of a PO value. EX: 1000001-001, 1000001-002, etc.

I currently have a nested IF statement with Index/Match to work out when the PO values are 4 digits and 7 digits. The issue I run into is if I want to match a PO that contains "-###" after it, I get a NO MATCH since the formula looks for an exact match. EX: Searching for 1000001 but getting a NO MATCH since the value is 1000001-001.

Formula:

=IF(LEN([PO#]@row) = 4, INDEX({(PDS) Procurement Delivery Scheduler Project Title}, MATCH([PO#]@row, {(PDS) Procurement Delivery PO Value Only}, 0)), IF(LEN([PO#]@row) = 7, INDEX({Site Contact Sheet Range 2}, MATCH([PO#]@row, {Site Contact Sheet Range 4}, 0)), INDEX({(PDS) Procurement Delivery Scheduler Project Title}, MATCH([PO#]@row, {(PDS) Procurement Delivery PO Value Only}, 0))))

*The site contact sheet contains 7 digit PO values that correspond to a given project.

*The procurement delivery scheduler contains 4 digit PO values corresponding to other projects.

I attempted an edit of the second IF statement to only match the first 7 characters of a PO value to avoid any of the excess characters but it does not yield what I want.

IF(LEN([PO#]@row) = 7, INDEX({Site Contact Sheet Range 2}, MATCH(LEFT([PO#]@row, 7), {Site Contact Sheet Range 4}, 0))

Tags:

Answers

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/05/24

try with index/collect and use filtering using CONTAINS

=INDEX(COLLECT({Site Contact Sheet Range 2}, [PO#]@row, 
    CONTAINS({Site Contact Sheet Range 4}, @cell), 1))

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• atewari1
    atewari1 ✭✭
    edited 01/05/24

@SteyJ Would the CONTAINS need to flip? If the range is the {Site Contact Sheet Range 4} and the search value is the PO itself in a given row?

Edit: I take that back I understand we need to search for the 7 digits amongst the greater PO values. My issue now is even when testing a different simple contains statement with numbers, I am getting an INVALID DATA TYPE error. Can CONTAINS be used with numeric values?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!