Smartsheet Sheet Rollback

Hello,

I accidently started editing the wrong sheet and have gone to far to repair it. I wanted to roll the sheet back one day. Is there a way to do that? In the activity log I can see a "snapshot" but there is only 1 and it is after the changes I made.

Thanks

Answers

• edapel
    edapel ✭✭✭✭

From my past experience, you can only do this if you had requested a backup of the sheet, then you can go to that backup and replace it. To request the backup (for future if it would help) when you browse the work apps, in the folder of your sheets, check the sheet, click on actions and then request backup.

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it💡Insightfulor❤️Awesome!

Hope you have a great day!!

Ed

• Lindsay Whitbread
    Lindsay Whitbread ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll only see activity in the activity log since you were given access to the sheet. If that's the issue you're coming up against, track down somebody else (like the sheet owner) and see if they can download a snapshot from immediately prior to when the unwanted changes happened.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Smartsheet Lead @ InfoSpark

Asia Pacific Smartsheet Partner of the Year (2023)

Platinum Smartsheet Partner | www.infospark.com.au

• Frito
    Frito ✭✭

In my case I did check with the owner/creator of the sheet and he had no additional snapshots. Its a little suprising to find out a platform like this doesn't have backups. We have several sheets for each of our jobs and 50-60 jobs a year. Do you guys have a recomended process for protecting data because its really disappointing to lose data like this.

• Lindsay Whitbread
    Lindsay Whitbread ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! There are some backup platforms around - and also a whole bunch that are so low quality that they're not worth bothering with!

It depends on whether you're looking for a functional backup (forms and automations, or just the data), whether you need attachments backed up as well and whether you have cell links and cross sheet references that need to also be supported in your backup.

In my experience, the most important question to ask yourself is what kind of incident you want to protect yourself from. Smartsheet Activity Log snapshots, and existing backup products offer a decent solution if you only need the backup to support when some rows are lost and when a manual recovery is acceptable. However, if you want to protect yourself from incidents such as when the sheet is permanently lost, or damaged to the point where both the data and columns/references are not working how they need to, then it's a deeper discussion - but still a solvable problem.

Our team has spent a lot of time researching and setting up backup solutions so please feel free to reach out to our Solutions Consultant (solutions@infospark.com.au) if you'd like to talk about your specific needs.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Smartsheet Lead @ InfoSpark

Asia Pacific Smartsheet Partner of the Year (2023)

Platinum Smartsheet Partner | www.infospark.com.au