Why are users with Editor - Cannot Share able to Share a sheet???

I'm very confused. I have a sheet where everyone except a few Admin have Editor - Cannot Share permissions. However, several of these users were able to use the Share button to send emails to all the other users to invite them to edit the sheet. There was no need, as everyone already had access. What am I missing? Why would these users be able to Share when their permission level clearly states they CAN NOT?? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Answers

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Laurie Mason

Did you check in the audit log to ensure that the sharing was in fact done by the users with Editor - Cannot share permission? If yes, the likeliness could be that they have Editor-Can share or Admin rights to the workspace holding the sheet.

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Laurie Mason

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots of the share dialog? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Laurie Mason
    Laurie Mason ✭✭✭✭

@AravindGP and @Andrée Starå

Thank you for your responses. A small correction from my original questions, it was a report that was shared. I don't think that should make a difference. The employees who shared the report are part of our All Employees group who have "Editor - cannot share" access to the report, underlying sheet, and workspace. I triple checked that they DO NOT have "Admin" or "Editor - can share" access. We only have a few individual admins and everyone else was in this All Employees group. No other groups were shared and no difference in the permissions for the report, sheet, or workspace permissions.

However, 4 different employees from the All Employees group were able to share and send an email (see example below) to everyone in the All Employees group.

Any further advise? Thoughts on what to check?? I'm baffled.

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Laurie Mason,

Do you also see the users with Editors - Cannot Share access share this report via the Activity Log in the report? If yes, I believe you might need to raise a support ticket with Smartsheet to get this sorted. Ideally, there should be no way for users with Cannot Share access to share. I have never seen this happen in our/our clients' instances of Smartsheet.

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com