Help With Formula on Multi-Select Column

Hi,

I want to take demographic data from 11 columns and translate that to a multi-select column.

I want my column "Original Demo Contains" to change dependent on the data in the 11 columns following it.

• If the value of any of the 11 "Original Demo - Caucasian", "Original Demo - African Amerian", etc columns is greater than 0, I want the corresponding selection in the Multi-Select Drop-Down "Original Demo Contains" to be selected.

The issue I'm finding is that if I do an =IF( formula and write out my statement, only the first command takes place on the column. So, if I do the below formula, only "Caucasian" is selected from the Multi-Select.

=IF([Original Demo - Caucasian]@row > 0, "Caucasian", IF([Original Demo - African American]@row > 0, "African American", IF([Original Demo - Hispanic]@row > 0, "Hispanic", IF([Original Demo - Asian]@row > 0, "Asian", ""))))

I read about the (char10) command, and I've tried employing ORs and ANDs but to no avail. Any tips?

Answers

• Just a little more context... This is what I want (I tried using the AI function, but to no success)

Perform each command independently of each other:

If [Original Demo - Caucasian]@row > 0, "Caucasian", then line break

if [Original Demo - African American]@row > 0, "African American", then line break

if [Original Demo - Hispanic]@row > 0, "Hispanic", then line break

if [Original Demo - Asian]@row > 0, "Asian", then line break

if [Original Demo - Native American]@row > 0, "Native American", then line break

if [Original Demo - Pacific Islander]@row > 0, "Pacific Islander", then line break

if [Original Demo - Other]@row > 0, "Other", then line break

if [Original Demo - Differently Abled]@row > 0, "Differently Abled", then line break

if [Original Demo - LGBTQ+]@row > 0, "LGBTQ+", then line break

if [Original Demo - Male]@row > 0, "Male", then line break

if [Original Demo - Female]@row > 0, "Asian", then line break

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers

You're on the right track! Here's a simplified example/formula:

demo formula:

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!