Automate formula based on dropdown

So I have a sheet with multiple columns. Rows automatically appear based upon a Power Automate flow from other sources and rules. It works great, but now I need to auto populate a calculated formula in one column based on a drop down selection in another. The two things I thought of don’t seem to be working.

Example: I have a column labeled “Material”. The selections are soil, rock, concrete, DGA, ASTM, etc. In another column, I have the estimated loads. These come over from the automation. In a third column, I have the estimated tons. This is what needs to be calculated.

If the Material is soil, I want the third column to multiply the “Estimated Loads” by 30. If the material is anything else, I want it to multiply the “Estimated Loads” by 25. I also want it to auto populate when a new row is added.

Here are the things I thought of:

1. Make the “Material” column a drop down to match the drop down on my other source so it’s the same when it comes over. Then, use IF functions.
  2. Create another column with a yes or no dropdown and add an automation that when soil is selected, that cell changes to yes. Otherwise, change to no. Then, use a simple IF formula in the column I want the calculation, turning it into a calculated column.
  3. Creating another Power Automate flow that will trigger it all when a new row is added.

Is there a simpler way to do this?

Tags:

Best Answer

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Whoaaiitshalxoxo

A simple IF statement is good. You could have the following as a column formula in the Estimated Tons column =IF([Material]@row = "Soil", [Estimated Loads]@row * 30, [Estimated Loads] * 25)

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!