Help with formula

I am setting up as simple tracking of an annual communications plan and have a Platform of Engagement column with about 12 drop down platforms to select from. I want a formula to track the amount of engagement on each platform selected within this column. The following formula works counting for one platform of engagement, selection was Community Partnership:

=COUNTIF([Platform of Engagement]:[Platform of Engagement], "Community Partnership")

But when I try this same formula in another cell with "Website" for example, I get circular reference and blocked. But I can't work out why? I can't work out where the circular reference is? Or why this

Answers

• Hi @JudyQ

Are you pasting the formula within the same column as the data you're looking at? (In the Platform of Engagement column?)

You can reference the current column once. As soon as you need to reference the same column for multiple formulas, these should be put in a separate column looking over at it:

Let me know if this was your issue or not! If not, it would be helpful to see a screen capture but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!