How to change automation of a form to notify the person who filled out the form whenever a change...

Is there a way to set the automation on a sheet so that the specific person who submits a form, gets an email back when a change has been made to the row? I am trying to create a request for time off form. An employee can submit the form which flags management, then management will select a drop down for approve or deny in a column on the sheet. Once the row has a change, I want it to notify the person that submitted the form. Is there a way to do this? I already have it set to ping management, but I don't know how to set it to ping the person who submitted the form once it is approved or denied. Thank you!

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/16/24 Answer ✓

HI @Alicia D

Yes, you can do this.

On the initial form be sure to capture the email address of the person submitting. Make sure this column is a contact list on your sheet.

Create a new automation triggered when a row is added or changed. I would limit this to just changes in the Approved column, for example Approved = Accepted or Approved = Denied (or whatever you call that column) rather than all changes in case management change other things that the requester does not need to be altered on.

Then in the drop down select the option to Sent to contacts in a cell:

Select the name of the column that contains the submitter's contact details.

Then write your message.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/16/24 Answer ✓

HI @Alicia D

Yes, you can do this.

On the initial form be sure to capture the email address of the person submitting. Make sure this column is a contact list on your sheet.

Create a new automation triggered when a row is added or changed. I would limit this to just changes in the Approved column, for example Approved = Accepted or Approved = Denied (or whatever you call that column) rather than all changes in case management change other things that the requester does not need to be altered on.

Then in the drop down select the option to Sent to contacts in a cell:

Select the name of the column that contains the submitter's contact details.

Then write your message.

• Alicia D
    Alicia D ✭✭✭✭

This worked, thank you!

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!